In 3.2.8, GitHub Desktop is shipping two great community contributions of highly requested features — “Check Out a Commit” and “Double Click to Open in Your External Editor”.
Alongside that, we have a nice addition to the clone dialog where you can quickly see if a repository has been archived, as well as many accessibility enhancements.
A big thanks to @kitswas for his work in adding the ability to check out a commit from the history tab, a much asked for feature.
We would also like to give a shout out to @digitalmaster with another highly requested feature add of being able to double click on a file to open it in your external editor, whether that is in the history or changes view.
Another great add with this release is being able to tell at a glance which repositories in your cloning dialog are archived and likely not suitable for cloning.
GitHub Desktop is actively working to improve accessibility in support of GitHub’s mission to be a home for all developers.
In so, we have the:
– addition of
aria-expanded attributes to the diff options button – #17062
– number of pull requests found after refreshing the list screen reader announced – #17031
– ability to open the context menu for the History view items via keyboard shortcuts – #17035
– ability to navigate the “Clone a Repository” dialog list by keyboard – #16977
– checkboxes in dialogs receiving initial keyboard focus in order not to skip content – #17014
– progress state of the pull, push, fetch button announced by screen readers – #16985
– inline errors being consistently announced by screen readers – #16850
– group title and position correctly announced by screen readers in repository and branch lists – #16968
– addition of an
aria-label attribute to the “pull, push, fetch” dropdown button for screen reader users – #16839
– aria role of alert applied to dialog error banners so they are announced by screen readers – #16809
– file statuses in the history view improved to be keyboard and screen reader accessible – #17192
– ability to open the file list context menu via the keyboard – #17143
– announcing of dialog titles and descriptions on macOS Ventura – #17148
– announcing of the “Overwrite Stash”, “Discard Stash”, “Delete Tag”, and “Delete Branch” confirmation dialogs as alert dialogs – #17197, #17166, #17210
– improvements of contrast in text to links – #17092
– tab panels in the branch dropdown announced by screen readers – #17172
– stash restore button description associated to the button via an
aria-describedby – #17204
– warnings in the rename branch dialog placed before the input for better discoverability – #17164
– errors and warnings in the “Create a New Repository” dialog are screen reader announced – #16993
- The remote for partial clone/fetch is recognized. Thanks @mkafrin! – #16284
- Association of repositories using nonstandard usernames is fixed – #17024
- The “Preferences” are renamed to “Settings” on macOS to follow platform convention – #16907
- The addition of the Zed Preview as an external editor option – #17097. Thanks @filiptronicek
- The addition of the Pulsar code editor as an external editor option on Windows – #17120. Thanks @confused-Techie
- Fixing the detection of VSCodium Insider for Windows – #17078. Thanks @voidei
- The \”Restore\” button in stashed changes is not disabled when uncommitted changes are present. – #12994. Thanks @samuelko123
Automatic updates will roll out progressively, or you can download the latest GitHub Desktop here.