The theme for this year’s Game Off is MOONSHOT.
moonshot – noun
- an extremely ambitious and innovative project
- the act of launching a spacecraft to the moon
- a hit or thrown ball that travels a great distance with a high trajectory
moonshot thinking – noun
- a type of thinking that aims to achieve something that is generally believed to be impossible. It encourages “anything is possible” dialogues around how to solve the challenge.
Use “moonshot thinking” and interpret the theme however you like. Let it be the inspiration for your creation. If you need some ideas think about:
- A roguelite, lunar lander style game where you literally get one shot at landing on the moon
- A platform game, where the hero jumps across the surface of the moon firing shots at the enemy
- A game about traveling back in time to make an impactful change
- A game about solving a huge/world problem with some ridiculous technology
Let your imagination run wild and create a game loosely based or inspired by the Moonshot theme using whatever game engines, libraries or languages you prefer before December 1, 13:37 PT. Work alone or as a team. Most importantly, have fun!
How to participate
- Sign up for a free GitHub account if you don’t already have one.
- Join the Game Off on itch.io. If you don’t already have an itch.io account, log in with your GitHub account.
- Create a game based on the Moonshot theme over the next month. You have from November 1, 13:37 PT to December 1, 13:37 PT.
- Create a new public GitHub repository to store the source code and any assets you’re able to share for your entry. Then push your changes before December 1, 13:37 PT.
- Submit your game through the Game Off page on itch.io. The form will be viewable once the jam starts and you’ve joined.
Shortly after the jam ends, voting will be open to everyone who has submitted a game. Don’t worry—there will be plenty of time to play and vote on the entries. As always, we’ll highlight some of our favorites on the GitHub Blog, and the world will get to enjoy (and maybe even contribute to or learn from) your creations.