In 3.2.8, GitHub Desktop is shipping two great community contributions of highly requested features — “Check Out a Commit” and “Double Click to Open in Your External Editor”.
Alongside that, we have a nice addition to the clone dialog where you can quickly see if a repository has been archived, as well as many accessibility enhancements.
Check Out a Commit
A big thanks to @kitswas for his work in adding the ability to check out a commit from the history tab, a much asked for feature.
Double Click to Open in Your External Editor
We would also like to give a shout out to @digitalmaster with another highly requested feature add of being able to double click on a file to open it in your external editor, whether that is in the history or changes view.
Quickly Identify Archived Repositories when Cloning
Another great add with this release is being able to tell at a glance which repositories in your cloning dialog are archived and likely not suitable for cloning.
GitHub Desktop is actively working to improve accessibility in support of GitHub’s mission to be a home for all developers.
In so, we have the:
– addition of
aria-expanded attributes to the diff options button – #17062
– number of pull requests found after refreshing the list screen reader announced – #17031
– ability to open the context menu for the History view items via keyboard shortcuts – #17035
– ability to navigate the “Clone a Repository” dialog list by keyboard – #16977
– checkboxes in dialogs receiving initial keyboard focus in order not to skip content – #17014
– progress state of the pull, push, fetch button announced by screen readers – #16985
– inline errors being consistently announced by screen readers – #16850
– group title and position correctly announced by screen readers in repository and branch lists – #16968
– addition of an
aria-label attribute to the “pull, push, fetch” dropdown button for screen reader users – #16839
– aria role of alert applied to dialog error banners so they are announced by screen readers – #16809
– file statuses in the history view improved to be keyboard and screen reader accessible – #17192
– ability to open the file list context menu via the keyboard – #17143
– announcing of dialog titles and descriptions on macOS Ventura – #17148
– announcing of the “Overwrite Stash”, “Discard Stash”, “Delete Tag”, and “Delete Branch” confirmation dialogs as alert dialogs – #17197, #17166, #17210
– improvements of contrast in text to links – #17092
– tab panels in the branch dropdown announced by screen readers – #17172
– stash restore button description associated to the button via an
aria-describedby – #17204
– warnings in the rename branch dialog placed before the input for better discoverability – #17164
– errors and warnings in the “Create a New Repository” dialog are screen reader announced – #16993
Other Great Fixes
- The remote for partial clone/fetch is recognized. Thanks @mkafrin! – #16284
- Association of repositories using nonstandard usernames is fixed – #17024
- The “Preferences” are renamed to “Settings” on macOS to follow platform convention – #16907
- The addition of the Zed Preview as an external editor option – #17097. Thanks @filiptronicek
- The addition of the Pulsar code editor as an external editor option on Windows – #17120. Thanks @confused-Techie
- Fixing the detection of VSCodium Insider for Windows – #17078. Thanks @voidei
- The \”Restore\” button in stashed changes is not disabled when uncommitted changes are present. – #12994. Thanks @samuelko123
Automatic updates will roll out progressively, or you can download the latest GitHub Desktop here.